Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Parametric EQ

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How many of you guys use parametric eq's in your systems ?

    Just sold an old SAE home one........

    Who makes a good rack mount ?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    RacerXtreme
    Try not to use EQs as they add phase shift .
    I can't tell you how many times I found sound systems with so much EQ there was no sound left. At least that you could listen to.
    I have used 1/3 and 1/10 octave EQs and made "Flat"speaker curves. The result was a nice straight line and sound like s***

    Don

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by donaldpatten:
    RacerXtreme
    Try not to use EQs as they add phase shift .
    I can't tell you how many times I found sound systems with so much EQ there was no sound left. At least that you could listen to.
    I have used 1/3 and 1/10 octave EQs and made "Flat"speaker curves. The result was a nice straight line and sound like s***

    Don
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I don't EQ my bi-amped 605As they really sound lousy---all midrange and no highs, almost as bad as a Klipsch LaScala. forums I use an Audio-Control active EQ and the sound is MUCH better than without it, it's also better than with a passive EQ compensation filter on the compression driver.

    Most of the good sounding Altecs are using EQ--either passive in the crossover or active.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a parametric EQ on the Yamaha C-70 preamp. I really like it. I don't know if it is EQ in particular or the preamp itself, but with that preamp, I seem to get a fuller, richer sound than with other preamps I have tried.

    Unfortunately, the Yamaha is getting a bit tired and is having some issues. I could probably fix them with some time & a soldering iron, but I bought a NAD pre on epay that is getting me by until I either buy a new Outlaw 990 for the surround system or find another suitable unit. The NAD has simple bass & treble EQ and it is nowhere near as nice sounding as the Yamaha.

    Hate to change after so much enjoyment with the Yamaha, but it is timer for surround and a new preamp.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Parametric EQ


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Digital EQ's do not have the phase shift issues.

    With something like a Behringer 2496, you get rid of the crossover's phase issues and get digital parametric to boot.

    But a purist probably wouldn't use digital either. Not being one, I personally would. But your mileage may vary...

    IMHO EQ is like using spices when you cook. Too many amateur cooks completely cover the taste of the food.

    The American palate is conditioned to salt flavored with food. Don't believe me, just read a few labels next trip to the store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.